A Message from Jeanne Burris Johnson
Thank you for your interest in New Century Art (NCA)!
As many of you know, I worked at a local gallery when the pandemic hit. Like many other galleries and businesses, we had to shut down for Covid making it impossible for us to continue to do business. During this time, I gave a great deal of thought as to the reasons why so many galleries like our own could not continue to do business while their building was shut down. People were still buying things they love and still wanted classes while the pandemic was at its height. I came to believe that the reason many galleries could not carry on was because they did not have an online presence that functioned beyond delivering basic information. When the buildings closed, the websites were unable to support the businesses effectively.
To get the most from a website, a gallery needs to design online experiences that bring many of the same benefits you would find at a brick and mortar. It is important that both the online environment and a physical gallery work effectively, separately, or together. With that goal in mind, we have developed a plan for a for profit online gallery that will allow us to sell art, classes, artist services, and promote artists.
Phase one of our business plan is to start the online gallery and phase two is to acquire a building. We are currently looking for one in Marine City. Since we do not currently have a building, we have created a plan for starting an online gallery that allows artists, students, and art enthusiasts to experience our gallery in a new and highly functional way. The online gallery will be limited to 40 artists and all must be juried by a NCA representative to become a member.
The benefits of being a New Century Art online artist includes:
· Selling artwork from our website. Each artist will be their own ‘category’ on the website store so that collectors can see everything they have on the site. At the time of sale, shipping will be figured into the price for the customer. Artists will house the work and will be advised by New Century Art if a work sells. From there artists can choose to ship with a prepaid shipping label sent from NCA (New Century Art) or have an NCA representative help with shipping if needed. We will be working with a local company to supply shipping material.
· Artist members can have downloadable classes recorded at no cost by NCA representatives and put on the online platform, Thinkific. With these classes an artist can make money indefinitely from students that pay for classes all over the world. This format allows for workbooks, quizzes, and many other useful classroom experiences the instructor may wish to provide. Additionally, fun workshop videos or instructional eBooks can be created, sold, and downloaded off the NCA website. The instructor will receive 60% for every sale of any class or workshop.
· Artwork and classes will be promoted with paid advertisements on Facebook and Instagram. Each member will be advertised every few weeks on these social media pages. At the end of the advertisement, artists will be informed of the stats from the ad.
˙ We use augmented reality technology to allow potential clients to try out paintings in their space and create virtual exhibits.
· We will have featured artists on the website every week with an interview and or biography and photos of their work.
· Artist members will receive a separate membership newsletter with information on ways to improve your business, artist opportunities, updates on fellow members, information on gallery happenings, and much more.
· A newsletter will go out to students and art enthusiasts about current and upcoming classes and artist events. Artists are encouraged to let NCA know of any exhibits or fairs you will be participating in so we can spread the word to potential students, clients, or collectors.
· New Century Art will have artist services available for all artists, members or not, that would like to improve their business. For an hourly rate we will be able to write biographies, artist statements, create inventory sheets, have professional pictures taken of your artwork, and much more. Member artists who have special skills or experience and are interested in doing some commissioned work in artist services are invited to speak with me about getting set up. It is a great way to support your business.
· Members will have opportunities to participate in art commission referrals. NCA will only refer commissions to NCA artist members.
Once we open a brick and mortar, we will offer memberships as followed:
· Online only, $30 annually· On site only, $30 annually· Both online and onsite, $60 annually
We plan to offer pottery and mixed media classes, exhibit areas, and a small coffee shop. It is our intention to work with the local community for artist retreat packages that will promote artists and the community at large. When we have a building, we will speak more to these plans.
I am one of you, an artist. I understand how hard it can be to get your name and work out there, find collectors, afford supplies to keep working, and learn successful business and marketing principals to hold it together. I understand how important it is to have the ability to meet other artists and make friendships. Having experience in the running of a gallery, I understand that art galleries that do not have a strong and highly functioning online presence will have a limited future. New Century Art will strive to provide an environment that allows artists to grow and thrive with a business model that can do the same.
Thank you for your consideration and know that we welcome your thoughts and ideas now and into the future.
Jeanne Burris Johnson
Gallerist/Artist | New Century Art
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.